Aurora borealis email alerts
Why and what is it?
In order to be in the right place at the right time (to reach the right place at the right time) there is "alert at virmalised dot ee" mailing list.
It's an email service you can subscribe to (and unsubscribe from). Once subscribed you will be alerted via email that it's time to check if the sky is clear and if the camera batteries are charged.
How often and what is sent?
Currently the alerts are based on "Geomagnetic activity nowcast" (Source: AurorasNow! (Finnish Meteorological Institute)). This information is updated every 15 minutes and if anything alert-worthy is found an email will be sent out. E-mail alerts are limited to maximum of one email per hour.
An alert is sent out when the next-hour prognosis of atleast 6 locations is "high" or next-hour prognosis of atleast 2 locatios is "very high". The aim is to notify you that something is likely to happen soon. For more informations it's worth visiting the website (aurorainfo.eu).
Preview of an alert email:
2015-02-03 21:02:38 aurora alerts - https://aurorainfo.eu (en) or https://virmalised.ee (et) Next hour magnetic forecast by cities: Forecast level 'veryhigh': - Forecast level 'high': Kevo, Masi, Kilpisjärvi, Ivalo, Muonio, Sodankylä, Pello Forecast level 'moderate': Oulujärvi, Mekrijärvi, Nurmijärvi, Tartu Forecast level 'increased': - Forecast level 'low': - Next mail will be not earlier than 1 hour. Track activity and changes on site https://aurorainfo.eu (en) or https://virmalised.ee (et)
How to subscribe?
- To subscribe send an email to : firstname.lastname@example.org (no email title or content necessary).
- The server will send you a verification email which you need to reply to (to verify the email owner). If you dont receive the verification email, be sure to check the spam folder just in case.
- To verify your email address just hit "Reply" and send it back. No email body needed, just make sure you dont change the email title with the code. With your reply you verify your self as the owner of the email address and your wish to receive the email alerts.
- All done! Enjoy the alerts!
I'm subscribed but not receiving any alerts!?
If you have subscribed and have not received any email alerts the reason could be:
- nothing yet to alert you on - Aurora borealis have better and worse times, sometimes there just isn't anything alert-worthy for a while
- email filters - the alert was sent out but due to automatic filters of your email provider you dont see it. Check your "spam" folder or any other folders. For example Google by default moves these emails to "Forums" or "Updates" category.
The last email alert was sent out on:
Horrible spam! Don't want it anymore
If you feel there are too many alerts or would like to unsubscribe from the email list for some other reason just send an email to email@example.com. Enjoy the silence! :)